Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Phys. Asst. Suicide
Same Sex Marriage
Please be sure to
to explore helpful resources on this page!
CURRENT NEWS ABOUT YOUR TOPIC
illegal immigration laws - Google News
Landry highlights effort to fight illegal immigration - The Daily Iberian
California Democrats want a 'sanctuary state' for immigrants here illegally. But those who are felons should be sent ... - Los Angeles Times
Illegal immigration comes with a cost - Santa Maria Sun
Tucker: What If Republicans Started Acting Like Democrats? - Fox News Insider
Facebook post warning illegal immigrants of ICE raid deleted but defended - Fox News
Massachusetts Sheriff: Arrest Leaders Of Sanctuary Cities - CBS Boston / WBZ
The real story behind that illegal immigrant's blank tax form - Conservative Review
Gregg Jarrett: Sanctuary cities won't find refuge in law - Fox News
DHS Says TX County Released 142 Criminally Charged Illegal ... - Fox News Insider
Illegals 'Living in Fear' - National Review
• New York Times Topics:
Immigration and emigration
Current bipartisan plan
outlined by Senator Schumer (D-NY) and Senator Graham (R-SC) - article contains helpful details -
. This may be helpful in terms of thinking about your policy recommendation? Here is a breakdown of pros & cons of the Schumer-Graham proposal:
BORDER FENCE -
MAP OF BORDER FENCE
• Timeline of US Immigration Policy
• Obama Administration Deporting Illegals with Criminal Backgrounds
Make E-Verify Mandatory?
2006/2007 Reform Bills
- This article describes how the Senate and House of Rep. bills were different and they would have a hard time reconciling them. The last few paragraphs of the article lay out the specifics of the Senate bill. Remember that this did not pass in Congress (the House and Senate never reconciled their bills). This should give you more specifics on what has been proposed in the past.
• Learn more about Arizona's recent legislation about illegal immigration:
• Learn more about the federal government's challenge of Arizona's law:
• This article talk about which provisions of Arizona's law are being challenged and what actually went into effect:
• ANOTHER Arizona law about employers knowingly hiring illegal immigrants is being challenged in the US Supreme Court:
Current Controversy & Opposing viewpoint
• Colorado is considering an immigration law (January 2011) similar to that of Arizona. Also includes one interests group's estimates of the costs of illegal immigrants on taxpayers.
• A different perspective - click on these mythbusters -
- website with information about both sides of the immigration debate -
• 2006 article estimating the number of illegal immigrants in the country and discusses some of the challenges in counting them.
• Learn more about the DREAM Act (not yet passed in Congress), which would give illegal immigrant children a path toward citizenship:
• White House - Q & A on DREAM Act -
You are welcome to look for other groups - this list may help you get started.
American Civil Liberties Union
American Immigration Lawyers' Association
Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR)
A lot of public opinion polls on immigration - read carefully to see which question(s) most apply -
Source of helpful immigration statistics -
Interactive map of states most affected by illegal immigration:
Public opinion poll of what Hispanics think should happen on immigration:
Flows of immigrants down during recession:
Map of states that have passed immigration laws (2010):
Suggested case for you to review:
Flores-Figueroa v. United States
is a good summary of the outcome of the case and how it applies to the larger illegal immigration issue
gives a good description of what Flores-Figuero was accused of and what the lower courts had said
summarizes the whole case
Plyler v. Doe
one helpful resource link
(type in case name in search box). The library has a number of
resources. You may use other online sources as well (with the exception of wikipedia).
A summary of
about immigration can be found at this
2005 - REAL ID
- commentary about what this will mean for states with a small section on what it will mean for immigrants.
that talks about the costs of educating illegal immigrants in the US as a result of the Plyler v. Doe decision (and the author's viewpoint does not support this ruling).Watch a video on illegal immigration and check out links that include local law enforcement efforts in Maine. PBS
Help with policy alternatives:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service
Learning about Connections to the Executive Branch
- please read this
and to learn more about an executive branch department related to your topic. Click
to learn more about some aspects of your topic that also relate to this executive department branch (and note the rich sources of data for future work on your topic available by clicking on the .pdf files).
Justice Department link
that talks about the costs of educating illegal immigrants in the US as a result of the Plyler v. Doe decision (and the author's viewpoint does not support this ruling).
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"